Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Toronto ACM SIGGRAPH launch event.

On Tuesday June 24th I volunteered for the launch of the Toronto ACM SIGGRAPH chapter.

It was a screening of the 2012 SIGGRAPH's animations and technical papers at the Royal Cinema downtown Toronto. It blew my mind to see some of the amazing pieces that people around the world were doing and I was inspired to create some of those pieces on my own some day.

The event was followed up with some socializing (i.e. Networking) at the Monarch Tavern just around the corner from the cinema. I met many people that night. One of whom got hired for the same job as me. Turns out Nelvana hired two lighting TDs. It was great to get to know her before starting work so I was able to have a friend that i knew prior. We now sit right next to each other!

The night was absolutely amazing. I very much enjoyed meeting one person in particular named Valerie whom was a great person inside and out. She offered to help me find a job which was incredible of her but I had already just gotten hired at Nelvana. Her support and endorsement made me feel like I have been doing the right thing. That this path was the one I was meant to take.

Get out there and network yourself! You could get a job for it too!

No comments:

Post a Comment