Thursday, July 25, 2013

Free Animation events!

There are some great things happening this weekend in Toronto! The Toronto Animation Arts Festival International is celebrating it's second year at the Corus Quay and at TIFF this weekend. I have been inviting people to come with me and to enjoy the celebrations and do some great networking but they give me the regular student excuse of: I just don't have any money.

I totally get it. I was only just recently a very poor student. I couldn't afford to go to anything but I still managed to do so. How? One word: VOLUNTEERING.

If you volunteer for festivals and events not only are you appreciated but you get behind the scenes action and know how as well as the opportunity to meet the organizers whom are (almost always) in the industry themselves.

Toronto ACM SIGGRAPH's launch event was about a month ago and I didn't have the $20 admission fee. What did I do? I volunteered for the event, enjoyed a beer with the organizers and fellow volunteers, made several connections that night and was even offered a job. Crazy right? Not at all.

Two things happen when you volunteer for a place:

1. The organizers appreciate you. You just offered your time to make their lives easier FOR FREE. This instantly puts you in their good books.

2. You're in the heat of the action at no cost to your pocket. Maybe bus fare. Snacks and water are usually provided in many cases.

Steps to ensure success:

1. Bring your business cards.
2. Bring your best attitude. Be as helpful as you can.
3. Hang around after the event to talk to the organizers or to attendees.
4. Dress professionally.

I am volunteering for TAAFI and my entire weekend pass is free! Plus I made some awesome connections already and the party hasn't even started yet! Next year, this could be you!

The more you appear at events the more people start to recognize you. The more you are recognized the more interesting you appear. This helps people become interested in your work. Which leads me to another topic that I will cover in a later article: Online Footprints!

Again, I wish you all the best of luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment