Monday, July 29, 2013

TAAFI Number Two


I am guilty of saying this a lot but I don't think I have ever had as much fun as I did this past weekend.
TAAFI 2013 was an absolutely amazing event. Everyone who went learned something new and saw something they had never seen before. Between the short films and feature length screening there were some absolutely phenomenal workshops and masterclasses which were definitely worth the venture. From fireside chats with David freaking Silverman to comparative anatomy lectures with Dr. Stuart Sumida to Life drawing classes, live script reads and a spokesman/animator and graduate of Sheridan College from Pixar giving us the dirty deets on how to get in, this weekend is worth more than its ticket price of $149.

It began on Friday with Industry Day and the Day of the Crows screening in the evening. I must admit to bawling my eyes out at that film. I was one of the most beautiful 2D animations I have ever seen. Preceding this was the College Animation Challenge where 9 of the 11 Ontario Animation schools participated in a
great collaborative project. My friend Jean-Guy MacLeod and I represented our school well. We were the only ones who went for the "Awwww" factor of getting caught doing something nice. David Silverman, early director of the Simpsons and the man who critiqued all the pieces, had only one thing to say about it: "Awww!" I am proud of the efforts we put in and am happy that it stood up well against the other schools'. Every school did absolutely amazing. I especially liked Max the Mutt's school Animation about a little princess, a dragon, and a brave(ish) knight. Check out TAAFI's facebook page if you want to see more of the shorts.

Master animator Kaj Pindal (whom once worked at Richard Williams' Animation studio in London) spoke a lot about 2D animation (and how much he hates 3D) and his life that led him up to where he was today. One thing that really struck a chord for me today was when he said that good animator also tend to be good musicians as well.

"There is nothing in the world like the marriage between music and animation." -Kaj Pindal (TAAFI 2013)

This hit me in particular because of the fact that I studied music prior to studying animation. Studying music gave me a great sense of timing and subtlety that I really value in my skills as an animator.

"Never underestimate the power you have to make people happy." -Dr. Stuart Sumida (TAAFI 2013)

I honestly wish the Dr. Sumida talks went way longer and I hope that he comes back next year because absolutely everyone needs to see him.

"I could just listen to him all day" says Cambrian College student Danielle Hodgson about the lecture.
I am sure the feeling was mutual for everyone else in attendance.

The Nelvana Bouncing Ball party was stunning. The team at Moorshead & Associates did a fantastic job. The food was good, the decor was awesome, and the music wasn't too loud which allowed for some great networking to be done. That being said it WAS a party after all so there was list of dancing and great music with all night requests. They also had a huge ice sculpture of the Nelvana bear that was gorgeous.

It was such a blessing to witness a Ray Harryhausen representative and friend accepting the lifetime achievement award on Mr. Harryhausen's behalf Sunday evening. He most certainly deserves it.

All in all the weekend was unbelievable fun and I hope that everyone out there had as much fun as I did.
If you missed this amazing event please come out to the TAAFI Holiday Party on November 21st at the Vogue Supperclub in Liberty Village, Toronto.

Hope to see you all there!

No comments:

Post a Comment